Monday, March 4, 2013

Social Media



This week our class topic was about media.  Social media allows virtual interactions with technology between people.  These interactions can be person to person, person to a community, or even news feeds.  I like interacting with people from time to time.  I am on a number of social sites; facebook, MySpace (which I never use anymore), and twitter.  I prefer to use my facebook account because not only can I catch up with my friend or the latest news, but I also can play my favorite games in my down time. 

Virtual world are also a type of social media.  I recently discovered a virtual world called SecondLife.  Virtual worlds allow person to person interactions.  The difference is they allow a person to create not only a different reality experience, but it gives users the ability to visualize who they are interacting with.  Virtual worlds can be used for more than recreation. The article, "Going to the virtual office in Second Life", explains how companies are more and more beginning to use them.  Companies are utilizing virtual communities more and more for their conferences, trainings, and meetings.  This saves the company  lot of money on travel expenses.  The article also informs that companies are preferring this method over video conferencing.  If I were to create and avatar in a virtual world, I believe my avatar would reflect me.  I'm proud of the person that I am, and wouldn't chose to be anything different.

No comments:

Post a Comment